Monday, April 27, 2009

Top 10 Updates from Shanghai

Updates after exactly 2 1/2 months:



1) I have not seen the following creatures: cockroach, ant, moth. Once, i saw a fly.

2) My English accent has changed from mildly Australian to occasionally American. Hopefully i will have control over this for different situations.

3) A 10" is now my preferred computer screen size. No more no less.

4) Now i am convinced that in Shanghai, you can say something like this in a Shanghainese accent: "Kan hao le di eeliwiaamumblemumble~" and people will think that you're all good. Seriously.

5) I notice that Shanghai young to middle-aged men look at me. Possible reasons:
> Shanghai men are more aware of their environment, and can easily pick out foreigners.
> Shanghai men sometimes do some things that makes them suspicious of people being suspicious of themselves - 心裡有鬼.
> Shanghai men just like to look at everything. Or, maybe that's true of all men.

Shanghai young to middle-aged woman look in my direction, but straight thru.

6) My pants are falling down. My shorts are falling down. But i am still the same weight! Possible explanations:
> My waist meats have moved down to my butt. So when i put on my pants, they get stretched.
> Exchanged unwanted fats for muscles.
> Over here, clothes expand in the wash.

Actually, i'm not so sure why most people here are skinny-sized, even though the food is generally oily.

7) I have been keeping my upper body muscles fit by washing and drying socks, undies, shirts, and pants by hand. It is great exercise and the muscle build up makes me want to fight someone.

8) Recently, I have been bumping into 1 or 2 'hi, bye' people. When i see them, i say 'hi', and then they say 'okay bye see you next time'. It's very strange because it doesn't make sense. If the next conversation i have with them is the same 'hi' and 'bye', then what is the point of 'see you next time'? No one can have many friends, because friendships need time to establish.

9) Texts here cost 2 Australian cents. So my text messaging speed is up.

10) I'm missing my die-hard buddies. I think of you once a day.


3 comments:

suhwei said...

for once i didn't find a half completed post!

darryl said...

true true suhwei.. and for once i read till the end of the post.. HAHA

I'm lovin' this..

to tell you the truth, i would have look at you if i dont know you, when you arrived at Seremban.. it's obvious that you're a foreigner.. haha

Bonbon said...

"My waist meats have moved down to my butt." Sam, you are HILARIOUS. HAHAHAHAHA