Sunday, February 1, 2009

No Shame No Game

In the lands of Malaysia and Singapore and in fact all of Asia, i am interested in a few things.

1) What do the people like and do? What are their daily routines? What are their feelings when they run their daily routines?
2) What are the challenges that these people face? And how do they overcome these challenges?
3) How has the environment shaped the people into who they are today? In their preferences, personality and character.

I want to capture the answers to these questions to digital image. That is what i want to do all day long.

While using a camera without a big zoom, and without lens rotation, the biggest hindrance to fulfilling my one desire comes in the form of: self-consciousness.

I must learn that:
1. i am not as important as i think i am, and i do not attract more attention than everybody else.
2. no one is paying more attention to me than me paying attention to myself.
3. everybody else is mostly paying attention to themselves 99% of the time.
4. just in case, for that 1%, the person i embarrass myself in front of, i will never see again 99% of the time.
5. just in case, for that 1 out of 100, the person probably won't remember my face because he will be too busy feeling important.

To capture true feeling and real juice, i must learn to have thick facial skin, have no shame, and constantly live to take no-regret photography.

So, let's play, dear Singapore and dear Malaysia.

No comments: