Thursday, March 5, 2009

12 Things I Found Either Really Funny Or Interesting About Malaysia


1. Parking Inspectors
In Penang in particular, i found that whenever we parked our car on the side of the street, a person would suddenly come out of nowhere to collect a parking fee. Sometimes the fee collecting person looks like this:
"Parking inspector" demands fees from friend.

While other times, the fee collecting person looks a random civilian, who truly does appear out of nowhere, and is nowhere to be found soon after collecting the fee. Probably it isn't 'nowhere', but perhaps around a corner, behind a pole, or beneath a car... type, place.

2. Malaysian English
There are a few words to add to my vocabulary:
(1) 不懂 instead of 不知道 >> e.g. A: "畏, 幾點了?" B:"不懂 eh."
(2) 夠力 meaning "powerful" or "pretty good". Where i come from, we would say: "很厲害" or "不錯"
(3) 死去 instead of 死. This sounded funny to me. e.g. "畏, 你死去了沒有?" - referring to computer game.
(4) 極爽 meaning "good feeling".
(5) "Last time" meaning "以前", not to be confused with literal meaning of "last time". e.g. A: "Do you know how to play poker?" B: "Last time i knew how to play, but now i don't." A: "..."
(6) 甚麼來的 instead of 甚麼. e.g. "她是甚麼來的?"

The messages must have been really short for the boy and girl to become an item in 20 seconds!

3. My Brother Revealed
One night, in sombody's house, while i was asleep, i heard Abe scratching his throat. And i was okay with that. In fact i have been okay with that for many years now. But when i opted out of my drowsiness, i realized that i was not at home, so i looked around.

Now, i am totally convinced, and can finally confirm that my brother can make gecko noises with his tongue.

4. Solitairy Shopkeeper

Small boy prefers to have a photo to not having a photo.

I found this funny, because no matter how much the kids distracted with action and banged on the glass, the lady did not react one bit.

5. Overweight at Genting

I am scared of the big theme park rides because they go too fast and windy. So when we came across a mild water ride, it decided to have a go. To go on the ride everyone must go on a scale and weigh less than 70kg.

Watching kids pass the weight test in order to go on the ride.

But (!) ... when it came to my turn to weigh, the weigher told me that i was overweight! What a surprise. Since when did i weigh so much?? Thus i was rejected.

Man gets notified of his weight. Check out the size of that carry bag!

I found this particular event funny, because it was just too ridiculous - being overweight for a theme park ride.

P.S. other mild rides include 'love boat'

6. The Solero Shot

While on the ferris wheel in Genting, somebody started laughing really hard.




Darryl told me that the monks on the street are sometimes fake. So the government once banned the Malaysian people from donating to monks.

OH, fake monks identified ~

7. Beauty of Malaysia

Never did i know tha Malaysia was so beautiful. Today i'm talking about buildings.

How grand and magnificent.

And one set of my hosts were also beautiful.

Three sisters look lovely.

8. Entertainment Centre

Group of friends squashed into one room for some K-Box

Ha.ha.ha. And there were a few more "K-boxes" to the right of screen.

During the trip i had an itch for punching something. Anything. Please.
And i found something. It was a punching game machine at an arcade. One play was three punches. And now let me describe the feeling of the first punch, the second punch and the third punch - AaAaawwWWeESOOMMEEE~

Although these machines can be found in my home country, the experience was incredibly liberating, and totally necessary for my rejuvenation of wellness.

9. Warm House Activities

During my stay at Darryl's house, there was a family party. And many people came over and that made me feel very happy.

Six girl cousins of Darryl at the front.

One of the aunties at the party was selling a certain type of product, and i showed interest to an extent (if it is a good product, then acknowledge it as a good product). And the conversation panned out like this:

Aunty: So, how can we give you more information?
I: Send me an email.
Aunty: Email... ... . . . AH, you can email my business partner over there, he has been running a computer store for more than 10 years.
I: ... (face)
Aunty: So... you can communicate with him on email...?

That was an interesting statement.

10. Watch Fixers

Inside Jusco shopping centre

I found this photo very funny because there were about 10 customers waiting to be served. But no one was serving them, because all the servicemen and women were busily huddled in the middle having a watch fixing party. For a long time too!

11. Rojak Guy

This is a great advertisement for rojak.

Context: in an eatery with many types of food and stalls. There was a fair number of people around, and only background selling and eating noises were present. Then, some Indian dance music comes on.




12. Su-Zhen Moey

This girl's smile makes me laugh. Her expressionless face makes me laugh. Her posture, tone of voice (loud), and her laugh also make me laugh. Maybe it is also her way of thinking that is funny.

Happy Su-Zhen at Petaling Jaya

On my first day in Malaysia, the hosts and i went to a nice park for a walk. And after only ten minutes of walking, Su-Zhen said: "Ughgh! I'm sooo tired!!" ... "My legs are so sore." Hahahaha!

Su-Zhen walking in a nice park.

So i found item 12. Su-Zhen Moey, very funny and very interesting to watch.

3 comments:

raechboss said...

I never thought you'd be the type to be scared of big theme park rides Sambos :P

Anonymous said...

#10 was HILARIOUS.

Bonbon said...

I was gonna say.. thank you for blogging about me until i saw that forbidden photo of me.!